Bone broth, I’m sure you’ve heard that it’s pretty much liquid gold. Packed with collagen, gelatin, minerals and more, it does wonders for your microbiome, your skin and joints.
You want to nourish and heal your little cherubs gut with it, but they aren’t that keen on drinking it by the mugful. Fussy eaters often have issues going on in their gut, which is all the more reason to get healing broth in to their tummies.
As mother’s, we have a natural ability to somehow get our kids to comply with what is best for them, whether they know about it or not. Shhhhhhhhh!
Here’s some hacks I use to get more healing bone broth into Meika’s diet:
1. Cook veggies in it.
Veggies absorb some of the liquid that they are cooked in so pop your broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in a saucepan with bone broth and your kids will be none the wiser.
2. Use it in mash or purees instead of your usual liquid medium.
Whether it’s pumpkin, sweet potato mash or cauliflower puree, you can easily disguise your bone broth in there and take your mash to a whole other level of nutrition!
3. Use as a soup base or liquid in a curry or stew.
Ditch the supermarket stock and use bone broth instead!
4. Use in a fry pan instead of oil or put into spaghetti bolognese meat as it’s cooking and reduce.
5. Make it into a gravy or sauce by adding gelatin and juice from a roast.
6. Cook buckwheat pasta and Jasmin or Basmati rice in broth
Just use broth instead of water. I often use a bone broth concentrate with water as I rarely make my own broth anymore.
7. Sneak a splash into gelatin gummies
Make sure you don’t over do it or you’ll find yourself eating them all due to the hard work, love and money you have poured in to making them cos your little one won’t have a bar of it. It’s best to use a plain broth with no onion or garlic.
8. Sneak a splash into smoothies or homemade ice blocks
Again just a smidge of plain broth. Garlic, onion and blueberry smoothies do not sound that appetising.
9. Poach chicken thigh or meatballs in broth.
10. Sprinkle bone broth concentrate into everything that you cook!
I may have saved the best til last. Meika will eat both Changing Habits bone broth concentrate and Tonemade concentrate straight off the spoon. She’d eat 10 teaspoons at a time if I let her. It’s a little bit crunchy and a little bit salty and she can’t get enough of it.
You can also sprinkle it onto all of your meals and put it in fritters. It’s fantastic and has changed my life!